Painting steel rims??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting steel rims??

I've got my hands on an old set of steel 5-star Jeep rims, and I'd like to paint them black or matte black. Are there any secrets, products, and/or techniques that anyone can recommend for cleaning/scuffing the rims, applying a primer, and putting the final coat(s) on them? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Ninjeep; 08-18-2015, 04:21 PM. Reason: Added Tags

I usually use a Scotch-Brite pad to scuff the surface and then I use brake cleaner to prep for primer.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

07 JKUR,Currie lift w/Antirocks,Ultimate Dana 60's front and rear,Teraflex master cylinder,40"Toyo's on Level 8 Strike 8 wheels with Monster valves,Premier Power Welder,Pure Jeep rock rails,Expedition One rear bumper,customized Body Armor front bumper,Adam's 1350 driveshafts,M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid,20lb Co2,custom steel trunk enclosure,Warn X8000i,TrekArmor seat covers,Alien 20" LED bar and much...much more!

Comment

When I did my rims 7 years ago it was simple! I just a wire brush on a air ratchet(drill works too). Then did a coat of primer did a light sand then another coat of primer. I left it to dry over night then sprayed 5 coats of black. I did the first four coats really really light. The minute I finished the 5th rim I was spraying another coat for the next. Then I let it setup for a few hours then hit the fifth. I have not touched them since. You can primer and spray in a few hours I just primered at the end of the day and was to lazy to work any later lol.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I just got a steel brush attachment for my drill and some brake cleaner to prep the wheels. I've got the primer, the semi-gloss black, and a clear coat to finish it off with when I'm done. Now I just have to get off of my ass and do the work... :-)

Comment

Another good product is Prep and Etch. Clean the surface like was said up top with a Scotchbrite pad or wire wheel and then spread on with a rag or paintbrush, let it sit and watch the magic happen. Once it's done use brake cleaner or Acetone(cheaper by the gallon at hardware store) and wahlah. Madge sure to primer soon after though to prevent flash rust...gloves and ventilation necessary
          '05 Tj Rubicon, 4" Clayton Long Arm lift kit, Bilstein 5100, Tom Woods front and rear drive shafts, 35"General AT2s, 1.25" G2 spacers, Spider Webshade, Rancho RS5407 stabilizer

Comment

Working...
          X