Changing out the seat belts in my CJ5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing out the seat belts in my CJ5

So I'm thinking of changing the seat belts out in my 81 CJ5. There is one belt in the back that goes clear across the back seat. So I'm going to take my better passenger side belt and use it to make 2 full belts for the back. I'm then going to replace the two front belts with new, blue belts. The blue belts match the paint pretty well but they are aftermarket. Anyone have any ideas on how good aftermarket belts are...I bought them from Baxter. I can get the name brand if you need it.

Also, in order to do all of this I have to take the seats out of the front and am thinking I need to make all the bolts, washer and nuts uniform. I want to buy all black but I'm not sure where to find them and I'm also not sure what grade of bolt to buy?

I borrowed a compressor with an impact wrench and drill and also an electric drill to make the new holes and to make sure the bolts for the seats and seat belts are well mounted. I've done this type of work before but it's been a while

Any impute would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Changing out the seat belts in my CJ5

Originally posted by Angela S. Petersen View Post
    So I'm thinking of changing the seat belts out in my 81 CJ5. There is one belt in the back that goes clear across the back seat. So I'm going to take my better passenger side belt and use it to make 2 full belts for the back. I'm then going to replace the two front belts with new, blue belts. The blue belts match the paint pretty well but they are aftermarket. Anyone have any ideas on how good aftermarket belts are...I bought them from Baxter. I can get the name brand if you need it.

Also, in order to do all of this I have to take the seats out of the front and am thinking I need to make all the bolts, washer and nuts uniform. I want to buy all black but I'm not sure where to find them and I'm also not sure what grade of bolt to buy?

I borrowed a compressor with an impact wrench and drill and also an electric drill to make the new holes and to make sure the bolts for the seats and seat belts are well mounted. I've done this type of work before but it's been a while

Any impute would be appreciated! Thanks!

Make sure you use grade 8 bolts

you will want large washers for more support in the body so the bolts can not pull through if they ever and I hope they are not used.
    as for factory or aftermarket belts as long as they are ASA approved then I would say they are good ant help you with where to by bolts as I am not in the USA but most parts stirs should have them.

you may have to take the gas tank off to get the the bottom of the Tim to install bolts properly
    if they built it I have had one or 10, if I have not had one yet, I am searching all the time for that type of jeep.
    Remeber: it's not He who dies with the most toys wins it he who has played with the most toys has had a great life of playing.

Comment

The gas tank is already out. That's why I'm replacing the belts now. I'm getting a steal tank and doing this stuff in the meantime while I wait for the tank! Thanks for the reply.

Comment

On mine, the rear belts are bolted to the back of the rear seat. Are yours bolted to the body?

[COLOR=#ffffff]1982 CJ-7 AMC 304 V8, T-18 transmission, clocked Dana 300 transfer case, flat belly pan, SOA suspension, Spool rear, Spartan Locker front, 4.10 gears, Warn 8274 for recovering stuck JKs (and LJs).
        sigpic
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Ya, they are bolted to the bottom of the floor. The seat just slides in and out of the half moon coupler so I'm not sure it would be safe to bolt them to the seat.

Comment

If you can reuse the coupler
            if they built it I have had one or 10, if I have not had one yet, I am searching all the time for that type of jeep.
            Remeber: it's not He who dies with the most toys wins it he who has played with the most toys has had a great life of playing.

Comment

The couplers are mounted to the sides of the wheel wells and are not detachable.

Comment

Working...
              X