84 CJ7 steering box replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 CJ7 steering box replacement

Ok, so I'm a noob working on my first Jeep. A 1984 CJ7. When I purchased my jeep I noticed the steering box was shot so today I bagan to replace it. I have everything off except the mounting bracket. I came across two weird bolt heads that mount the bracket to the top of the gear. My dad says they are torx heads but I don't know what size. Can anyone help with this one?

Re: 84 CJ7 steering box replacement

Can you take/post up a pic. I have an 82 and gonna look at it now, believe they are just straight bolts.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    PA State Moderator

1982 CJ7
    4inch skyjacker easy ride (75% complete at the moment).
    Bald ass 31 inch Ground Hawg's that I hope to upgrade shortly.

Comment

I did some looking around on some other forums and found out that you can use a 7/16 end wrench and it worked perfectly. Box is in, now I can wheel a little more relaxed. Thanks for the reply though.

Comment

Well mine is covered with gunk and apparently leaking. May drop mine as well to see what's happening and replace seal that's also shot.
        PA State Moderator

1982 CJ7
        4inch skyjacker easy ride (75% complete at the moment).
        Bald ass 31 inch Ground Hawg's that I hope to upgrade shortly.

Comment

They are 12pt bolts. A open end wrench fits on them fine. I would look into replacing the box with one from a H1. They are a popular swap (have one on mine). They bolt up, but give you a variable ratio and a larger power piston for turning the tires easier.

[COLOR=#ffffff]1982 CJ-7 AMC 304 V8, T-18 transmission, clocked Dana 300 transfer case, flat belly pan, SOA suspension, Spool rear, Spartan Locker front, 4.10 gears, Warn 8274 for recovering stuck JKs (and LJs).
          sigpic
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepasaurusrex View Post
            They are 12pt bolts. A open end wrench fits on them fine. I would look into replacing the box with one from a H1. They are a popular swap (have one on mine). They bolt up, but give you a variable ratio and a larger power piston for turning the tires easier.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks!
            1985 CJ-7 258 T-5 mostly stock 2 in body lift. Currently under renovation.

Comment

I misspoke in my post. I meant to say boxed end wrench.

[COLOR=#ffffff]1982 CJ-7 AMC 304 V8, T-18 transmission, clocked Dana 300 transfer case, flat belly pan, SOA suspension, Spool rear, Spartan Locker front, 4.10 gears, Warn 8274 for recovering stuck JKs (and LJs).
              sigpic
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
              X