to 350 swap or not to swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to 350 swap or not to swap?

So Ive got this tired old AMC 304, and i am debating on either rebuilding it, or just swapping in a 350, but I'm not sure what i should do. I mean is the 304 even worth rebuilding. And don't say swap in a 360 cause they aren't as abundant in my area as everyone tries to make it seem. i already know what the 350 swap will entail, with all the adaptations and such. i know it will be less expensive to just rebuild the 304. what this question really is about is power. i mean obviously the 350 has more power. You know what they say, no replacement for displacement. But i don't think my 304 has ever been all that great, and I'm not sure if its just always been worn out or if it just isn't very powerful to begin with. any ideas would be appreciated.

Re: to 350 swap or not to swap?

I say build the 304 for many reasons, to name a few.
    parts are out their and cheap
    its not hard to mod for what you want
    the bottom end power from any amc jeep engine is better then anything out their unless you have a diesel
    you can drop chev 400 pistons in it, a set of rods and turn the crank down to get around 325HP and wind up with a 383 (well 382 but 383 sounds better)
    if you want to make it into a 360 its not big deal as the block used for 304, 360,401 ( except for some tooling in the bottom end) are the same.
    the list goes on and on and on
    put msd, a dome and carb balm your laughing, the amc engine is a great engine and yes their may not be many around your area but theirs one pile of them out their.
    if they built it I have had one or 10, if I have not had one yet, I am searching all the time for that type of jeep.
    Remeber: it's not He who dies with the most toys wins it he who has played with the most toys has had a great life of playing.

Comment

i have been leaning to the 304 rebuild. and if i didnt like it i had a fresh motor to sell off. tell me more about this stroking of the 304

Comment

anymore info on this?

Comment

Find a 360 or 401 out of a Wagoneer. What ever you do, stay AMC. Swapping to a GM motor, you have to change just about everything from the transmission forward. It's not worth it.

[COLOR=#ffffff]1982 CJ-7 AMC 304 V8, T-18 transmission, clocked Dana 300 transfer case, flat belly pan, SOA suspension, Spool rear, Spartan Locker front, 4.10 gears, Warn 8274 for recovering stuck JKs (and LJs).
          sigpic
          [/COLOR]

Comment

thanks for the reply. i already know what it will take to get the 350 in. also i dont have access to a 360 or 401 around here.

Comment

Road Trip!

[COLOR=#ffffff]1982 CJ-7 AMC 304 V8, T-18 transmission, clocked Dana 300 transfer case, flat belly pan, SOA suspension, Spool rear, Spartan Locker front, 4.10 gears, Warn 8274 for recovering stuck JKs (and LJs).
              sigpic
              [/COLOR]

Comment

engines and parts

Bit of a drive, but you would have onboard air...
                360 Jeep Engine

sigpic
                [/COLOR]

Comment

I found some of the info you need just have to find the rest and I will put it on here over the weekend.
                  as for changing to 350 its not bad as you can change the engine mounts, swap bell housing out to chev, put in a pilot bearing for said tranny.
                  just about finished a 350 swap inot a cj7 right now.
                  if you looked on AA or Novak for info about it the really complicate things with parts they want to you buy that are not needed at all. LOL
                  if they built it I have had one or 10, if I have not had one yet, I am searching all the time for that type of jeep.
                  Remeber: it's not He who dies with the most toys wins it he who has played with the most toys has had a great life of playing.

Comment

Cummins 4bt!!!

Sent from your moms phone....

If you can read this I've spilt my beer....

Comment

Don't forget the radiator, exhaust, misc wiring, etc...

sigpic
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

yeah, i gathered that from the novak adapt site. the bellhousing to tranny adapter and associated parts are the only parts i would have to buy. i can fab up all the part for the mounting no problem. as for exhaust its not a huge thing since its not a street legal jeep anyway, so straight pipes would probably be what i would go with. I have a couple of suppliers that i can go through for the radiators since parts is what i do for a living.

Comment

Definitely rebuild the 304. Its a great motor once you get it tuned how you want. If you're going to go with a GM motor, go with a 6.5 Detroit Diesel. Awesome motor for Jeeps
                          Russ
                          Forbiddenjeeps Northeast USA Moderator
                          Founder/Administrator at LIW (Long Island Wheelers)
                          Auto Mechanic

'04 WJ 4.0L, Selec-Trac, Goodyear Duratrac 225/70R16-----'80 MG B-Series Roadster, Resto-mod, General Altimax
                          ***RIP*** ----- *Cause of Death*
                          '06 TJR "Fangul" 4"Custom lift, General Grabber A/T-2 33x12.5R15 ----- Tree/Back Ice

Comment

so i got the 304 torn down a couple weeks back (finally updating) and its pretty tore up to say the least. its never been bored out... that is other than the wear that the piston rings have done. its pretty serious. the rings had expanded so much that one of the cylinders has a decent scratch from the corner of the ring. none of the pistons would come out without a little "pursuasion". i had to pull the crank out and then use a couple mallets and smash them out to get the rings past the lip. on the plus side, though their was some really good wear on the bearings, none of them were very bad, at least nothing worse than you would expect from a 44 year old motor.. im not sure if its ever been rebuilt, and my assumption is no it hasn't. the heads have some serious burn on the exhust valves, but i haven't torn them down to see how bad it really is. I am slowly leaning away from doing a rebuild since it will take so much money to get it running right again, and probably just wont have the power that i am looking for. i checked around for a 360, and found a place around me that has one that needs a rebuild, unfortunately they want 500 bucks for what is basically a core. at that much i might as well just move on and get a chevy motor, because at least the rebuild for it would be much cheaper. so basically im exploring other options that i might have at this point. i do have a ford 302 hanging around in my garage that has a fresh rebuild on it, so its an option, the only downside is i will have to cut the input shaft down on my transmission, or rebuild it with a ford shaft. decisions decisions decisions....

Comment

Diesel!!!!! Or ls7

Sent from your moms phone....

If you can read this I've spilt my beer....

Comment

Working...
                              X