Disc brake question for 83 CJ7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc brake question for 83 CJ7

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#40e0d0]My jeep currently has disc brakes that do not work. It also has lockers, and no emergency brake either. Keep in mind it has at least a 6" SOA lift and 38.5's. I can order a disc brake kit that has the Emergency brake included, but I think it will require longer brake cables than for a stock jeep. From what I gather, drum brakes work with lockers but disc brakes do not...but I'm ok with that as I really don't intend on using the lockers anyway. Does anybody have any experience or advice they can give me on this?

Thanks!

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    '83 CJ7 Zeus: 6" SOA (10" lift not incl. tires) 16/38.5/15LT Super Swampers, 15" MT deep dish wheels, 4 spd, Front & Rear Lockers, Dana 30 Front, Dana 44 Rear, Reverse shackels, Sam's Offroad heavy duty Traction bar and crossmember, 4 Wheel Disc Brake with E-Brake, AMC 360 V8, ProTru Flat head pistons, .40 over, Forged steel rods, Balanced cranks, Scorpion roller rockers, 401 Edlebrock Alum. heads, Alum. Valve covers, MSD Elec Ignition, High Steer Kit, OldManEmu Steering Stabilizer, Skyjacker 7000 shocks, Heavy Duty Drag link kit, Alum. Edelbrock Intake, 4 Barrel double pumper 650 Holley carb, manual choke, Custom Hi-lift Comp Cam, Champion 4 core Alum. radiator & shroud, 3.5" side pipes & Hedmann headers (Ceramic coated), ProComp Front/Rear Bumper [COLOR=#ff0000]
    '04 Rubicon TJ. 5 sod inline 6, 4" Rough Country Lift, 35" Nitto Grapplers, Rampage Recovery Bumper, Rampage Rocker sliders, Winch, Rugged Ridge LED lights, Bushwacker fender flares, Dick Cepek Wheels.[/COLOR]

Re: Disc brake question for 83 CJ7

not sure I got a 2012 Liberty hope some one can help I will tag Leroy Baca on FB he might be able to help or wally

Just didn't want you to think no one cared lol
    [COLOR=#d3d3d3]Pepe Le Pew[/COLOR]-
    2012 JK Sport
    3.6 VVT
    1.75" Spacer kit
    295/70 18's w/ Nitto trail Grabbers
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    Bedlined Bumpers, Fenders,

Comment

Originally posted by Maria Champion View Post
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=#40e0d0]My jeep currently has disc brakes that do not work. It also has lockers, and no emergency brake either. Keep in mind it has at least a 6" SOA lift and 38.5's. I can order a disc brake kit that has the Emergency brake included, but I think it will require longer brake cables than for a stock jeep. From what I gather, drum brakes work with lockers but disc brakes do not...but I'm ok with that as I really don't intend on using the lockers anyway. Does anybody have any experience or advice they can give me on this?

Thanks!

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
      Okay, you have disk breaks but they don't work? Having lockers has nothing to do with the breaks on a Jeep. Lockers are in the diff and should not interfere with your breaks in anyway.

If you have drum breaks, get rid of them and upgrade to disks in all 4 corners... If your break lines are too short, you only need to replace the lines, it will only cost you about $250 to get SS extended lines.
      2010 Rubicon, Sprintex Supercharger with Sprintex Intercooler, DiabloSport T-1000 Trinity Programmer, Teraflex Falcon 3.3 Shocks ,1350 RE Reel Drive Shafts, Method 105 Bead Locks, Toyo 37" X 13.5" Tires, Custom Olympic Off Road Front Bumper, Olympic Off Road Smuggler Rear Bumper with tire carrier, Seward Radius 4s LED Light, Seward 12" LED Light bar, 50" LED Light bar with, sPod LED switch pod with Boost gage,, Rigid LED Lights, 15# Power Tank, Rock Hard Cage, Rock Hard Under Armor, Posion Spyder Sliders, Posion Spyder Crusher Fenders, Posion Spyder Evap Armor, Posion Spyder Extreme Duty Trans-Mount Cross Member, Bushwacker rear armor, 5.13 Gears, Magnum 44 Front Axle, Off Road Evolution "C" Gussets, Cobra 75 CB Radio, Warn 10K on Front and 8K Winch on Rear, Bartact Seat Covers, Delta Quad Bar Xenon Headlamps,Tantrum LED Offroad Rock Lights, Teraflex HD Tie Rod, Teraflex Falcon Steering Stabilizer, Teraflex Alpine Long Control Arms Front & Rear, Teraflex 4" springs, Teraflex JK Performance Slotted Big Rotor Kit, TeraFlex Monster HD Forged Front Adjustable Trackbar, Teraflex Monster Rear Forged Adjustable Trackbar, Teraflex Front & Rear Brake Line Kit, Teraflex Bump Stops Front & Rear, Surprise Straps, Hothead Headliner, Teraflex D-44 Diff Covers, Wild Boar Grille, Rigid Ridge Hood, Drake Hood Latch's,Synergy HD Ball Joints & a Tuffy Security Drawer

Comment

I didn't want to answer incorrectly. Hoped that lockers didn't effect brakes.
        __________________________________________________ _____________
        PA State Moderator

1982 CJ7
        4inch skyjacker easy ride (75% complete at the moment).
        Bald ass 31 inch Ground Hawg's that I hope to upgrade shortly.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Comment

I think she might be referring to e parking brake cables being too short. But either way, there has got to be longer ones out there. And the admin is spot on. Lockers have nothing to do with brakes. But I wonder if she has lock outs on her rear axle and a locker in the diff?
          1985 CJ-7 258 T-5 mostly stock 2 in body lift. Currently under renovation.

Comment

[SIZE=2][COLOR=#00ffff]Thanks guys. The brakes were a hodge podge job done before I got it. I have longer cables coming, so no worries there. Some knucklehead welded the lines to some metal piece under there instead of harnessing it correctly. The diff cover hasn't been opened up, so there's something with that that's causing the rear lockers not to work. Found out yesterday that the rear disc brakes are a chevy brand and the calipers don't fit correctly. We're checking into options with that now. Thanks for all the input and guidance!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
            '83 CJ7 Zeus: 6" SOA (10" lift not incl. tires) 16/38.5/15LT Super Swampers, 15" MT deep dish wheels, 4 spd, Front & Rear Lockers, Dana 30 Front, Dana 44 Rear, Reverse shackels, Sam's Offroad heavy duty Traction bar and crossmember, 4 Wheel Disc Brake with E-Brake, AMC 360 V8, ProTru Flat head pistons, .40 over, Forged steel rods, Balanced cranks, Scorpion roller rockers, 401 Edlebrock Alum. heads, Alum. Valve covers, MSD Elec Ignition, High Steer Kit, OldManEmu Steering Stabilizer, Skyjacker 7000 shocks, Heavy Duty Drag link kit, Alum. Edelbrock Intake, 4 Barrel double pumper 650 Holley carb, manual choke, Custom Hi-lift Comp Cam, Champion 4 core Alum. radiator & shroud, 3.5" side pipes & Hedmann headers (Ceramic coated), ProComp Front/Rear Bumper [COLOR=#ff0000]
            '04 Rubicon TJ. 5 sod inline 6, 4" Rough Country Lift, 35" Nitto Grapplers, Rampage Recovery Bumper, Rampage Rocker sliders, Winch, Rugged Ridge LED lights, Bushwacker fender flares, Dick Cepek Wheels.[/COLOR]

Comment

If you want to properly install disc on the rear of your Jeep, there is a ton of information on doing the swap online.

I've been looking at doing the swap myself using F-150 front rotors, Ford SVT Mustang rear calipers (built in parking brake that hooks to the CJ cables easily). There will be some fabrication involved with the mounting plate for the caliper, new flex lines and hard lines on the rear axle, etc. But in the end, you will have better brakes on the rear and have a working parking brake.

I am questioning the locker in the rear axle. If its not an ARB air locker or Eaton E-locker, there will be no outside connections on the housing. I would pull the diff cover and take a look at what is in there. Snap some pictures.

[COLOR=#ffffff]1982 CJ-7 AMC 304 V8, T-18 transmission, clocked Dana 300 transfer case, flat belly pan, SOA suspension, Spool rear, Spartan Locker front, 4.10 gears, Warn 8274 for recovering stuck JKs (and LJs).
              sigpic
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
              X