CJ Auto tranny swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ Auto tranny swap

I'm thinkin about swapping out the T-5 in my 84 CJ with an automatic. Has anyone done this and what did they use? How hard was it etc. I have some above basic mechanic skills so istallation shouldn't be a problem. I just don't really want to have to get inside of the tranny or t-case to change any shafts etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: CJ Auto tranny swap

Here is a link that will help you with a little Knowledge and help you get started! I done this in ALL models of CJ's 2s to 7s makes a neat setup
    Personally I like the t350 the best! shortest strong and very adaptable, you can even adapt it to an AMC engine using an available adapter and a Chevy case!

The Novak Conversions Transmission Information Gateway

Comment

Remember that's when changing tranny you will need to change drive shafts, skid plate.
      run tranny cooling lines and mount a cooler.
      yes you can adapt the th350 Chev tranny to just about any jeep engine and its one of the best to use if you get the right year.
      you can also change the out put shaft and keep your d300 transfer case
      you could also sorce out a auto out of an old full size jeep

alot of th350's were used and they are in the amc case so it bolts right up to your engine no $500 adaptor needed or the early ones have the adaptor ring their to be used.
      Depending on what you can find you then only have to swap out the tail shaft to adapt your d300 t-case
      if they built it I have had one or 10, if I have not had one yet, I am searching all the time for that type of jeep.
      Remeber: it's not He who dies with the most toys wins it he who has played with the most toys has had a great life of playing.

Comment

I used a th400/dana 20 combo out of a v8 commando. That combination can also be found in j series trucks. Not a bad swap in a cj because they came with a th400 but with a quadratic t-case so the correct flex plate can still be had new. You didn't say what engine you're running but being an 84 I'm assuming a 258

Comment

Thanks holliewood61!

Comment

yes you can sure use the TH400 from a jeep donor and they are a great tranny. if you do not drive the jeep to see if tranny works good have it over hauled as they are know for revers gear problems. not a hard fix but just a warning.
            cant wait to see pics and hear about your build
            if they built it I have had one or 10, if I have not had one yet, I am searching all the time for that type of jeep.
            Remeber: it's not He who dies with the most toys wins it he who has played with the most toys has had a great life of playing.

Comment

Does any one have a pic of a AMC 258 bell housing bolt pattern vs a th350 bolt pattern?

Comment

Working...
              X