CJ 5 Help Wheel Bearing and Clutch Master Cylinder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ 5 Help Wheel Bearing and Clutch Master Cylinder

OK CJ GUYS, I have an 82 5 with the 2.5 liter manual trans. I have 2 issues I need help with:

1 - I have recently noticed when shifting my clutch pressure drops. For example, I will be driving go to shift and I don't get ANY pressure on the petal until about half way. Then let off shift again and I have immediate pressure when I press it. It seems like its off and on. Could this sudden drop in pressure every so often be a bad clutch master cylinder? Thoughts??

2 - Also recent i started to notice a "Cluck or creak" coming from the front pass floor, almost pass tire, when I either excellerate or decelerate. I can put it first start driving slowly, hit the gas and hear it. Then i can suddenly let off the gas and hear it. Its like any time there is pressure or load. I did a check of all my u-joints and they look fine. Front steering ends seem OK. I did jack up the pass tire, grab the top and bottom and rocked it. I think I feel some wiggle so maybe bad bearing? Do bad bearings make this sound like this while excellerating or decelerating? Thought they just sound like grinding or humming..

ANY help here is MUCH appreciated!!

Re: CJ 5 Help Wheel Bearing and Clutch Master Cylinder

For the clutch, it is possible that you just have air in the line. Did you check the clutch fluid level? I would check for leaks and try bleeding it. If not it could be a bad clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder.

As far as the clunk, my first thought while reading this is the trans mount. My old CJ made the same noise when the trans mount went bad. Also check the motor mounts because the trans will move if they are bad as well. You are right about the bearings. They will make a grinding or squealing sound when they go bad. Having a little play in your wheel doesn't always mean a bad bearing. The bearings may need to be repacked with grease and the hub readjusted/tightened. Another thing that could cause the play in your front wheel is the ball joints. I hope this helps you out some. Let us know how it turns out or if you have anymore questions.

misspelled using Tapatalk on the go!
    07 JKUR,Currie lift w/Antirocks,Ultimate Dana 60's front and rear,Teraflex master cylinder,40"Toyo's on Level 8 Strike 8 wheels with Monster valves,Premier Power Welder,Pure Jeep rock rails,Expedition One rear bumper,customized Body Armor front bumper,Adam's 1350 driveshafts,M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid,20lb Co2,custom steel trunk enclosure,Warn X8000i,TrekArmor seat covers,Alien 20" LED bar and much...much more!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
      For the clutch, it is possible that you just have air in the line. Did you check the clutch fluid level? I would check for leaks and try bleeding it. If not it could be a bad clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder.

As far as the clunk, my first thought while reading this is the trans mount. My old CJ made the same noise when the trans mount went bad. Also check the motor mounts because the trans will move if they are bad as well. You are right about the bearings. They will make a grinding or squealing sound when they go bad. Having a little play in your wheel doesn't always mean a bad bearing. The bearings may need to be repacked with grease and the hub readjusted/tightened. Another thing that could cause the play in your front wheel is the ball joints. I hope this helps you out some. Let us know how it turns out or if you have anymore questions.

First, thanks for the reply!!!

I did just bleed the clutch and I still had the same results. I know where the clutch master cylinder is but what about the slave?? Any way to tell if they are bad without doing a replace?

I will check the trans mount when I get home, I believe its on the crossmember on the bottom of the trans....?? And I will also check the motor mounts. Anything to look for?? The get loose?? Thanks!!

Comment

The slave cylinder will be at the other end of the hydraulic line at the trans side. You can check them to see if it looks like they have been leaking and you can have someone push the clutch pedal for you while you are under the Jeep looking at the slave cylinder to see if it looks like it is sticking. The trans mount is the one between the cross member and trans. For both mounts look for torn or dried broken rubber. Push up on the T-case side of the trans and look for movement in the mount.

07 JKUR,Currie lift w/Antirocks,Ultimate Dana 60's front and rear,Teraflex master cylinder,40"Toyo's on Level 8 Strike 8 wheels with Monster valves,Premier Power Welder,Pure Jeep rock rails,Expedition One rear bumper,customized Body Armor front bumper,Adam's 1350 driveshafts,M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid,20lb Co2,custom steel trunk enclosure,Warn X8000i,TrekArmor seat covers,Alien 20" LED bar and much...much more!

Comment

Check your body mount on that side. They are known to crack and break.

[COLOR=#ffffff]1982 CJ-7 AMC 304 V8, T-18 transmission, clocked Dana 300 transfer case, flat belly pan, SOA suspension, Spool rear, Spartan Locker front, 4.10 gears, Warn 8274 for recovering stuck JKs (and LJs).
          sigpic
          [/COLOR]

Comment

you can easily eliminate the hub bearings by just touching the hub after driving. if they are hot then you have a bearing issue. if it is not hot, then the bearings are likely to be fine.

Comment

Working...
            X