2003 rubicon loose in the road

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 rubicon loose in the road

I have just gotten a 2003 rubicon. It has a 4" rubicon express lift. 315/75/16 BFG AT on 10" wheels. I have noticed it wonders from side to side going down the road. It will be going strait then all the sudden it drifts to one side and you have to move the wheel to catch it. Any ideas of what is going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it usually drives fine but sometimes jumps to one side or the other, it is most likely your tires catching the little grooves in the road. If that's the case you can try adjusting the tire pressure to see if that helps. Sometimes as tires get old and wear they start jumping around in the road grooves. If it is a constant swaying side to side you have a lot of parts to check. First make sure everything is tight in the steering linkage, track bars and control arms. If it still does it, check for any play in all the tie rod ends and ball joints, then check the track bar bushings and all control arm bushings for wear. Most of the time people keep up on the steering linkage parts. I have found the control arm bushings to be a part most Jeep owners overlook when checking for problems. Loose or worn control arm bushings could cause the Jeep to wander back and forth. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions just ask.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

07 JKUR,Currie lift w/Antirocks,Ultimate Dana 60's front and rear,Teraflex master cylinder,40"Toyo's on Level 8 Strike 8 wheels with Monster valves,Premier Power Welder,Pure Jeep rock rails,Expedition One rear bumper,customized Body Armor front bumper,Adam's 1350 driveshafts,M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid,20lb Co2,custom steel trunk enclosure,Warn X8000i,TrekArmor seat covers,Alien 20" LED bar and much...much more!

Comment

I have checked the ball joints tie rods and track bar. My steering stabilizer bushings are shot. I haven't checked the upper and lower control arms. I had a 2000 tj with 4" suspension lift and 2" body lift. It had 10" wheels and I hated it. Changed to 8" wheels and kept the 33/12.5/15 tires and it drove 100 times better. I plan to put 8" wheels on this jeep as soon as I get the extra money.

Comment

It is doing the shift more at a higher speed. Under 45 it drives great. But I have noticed it is worse on some roads

Comment

Sound like a tire issue to me.
          07 JKUR,Currie lift w/Antirocks,Ultimate Dana 60's front and rear,Teraflex master cylinder,40"Toyo's on Level 8 Strike 8 wheels with Monster valves,Premier Power Welder,Pure Jeep rock rails,Expedition One rear bumper,customized Body Armor front bumper,Adam's 1350 driveshafts,M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid,20lb Co2,custom steel trunk enclosure,Warn X8000i,TrekArmor seat covers,Alien 20" LED bar and much...much more!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen
            Sound like a tire issue to me.
            It ended up being the nut on bottom of steering box was only hand tight

Comment

Oops! That would do it, glad to hear you got it taken care of and nobody got hurt! good job!

Comment

Working...
              X