'95 yj engine swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 yj engine swap question

I have a '95 yj with a 2.5 and a 5speed trans... I'm planning to swap the motor with a 4.0 for a little more power and swapping the tranny with a manual ax15, just wondering what all other things I might need to complete this job to put it on the road, I'm new to the jeep trend so would really appreciate the help thanks again
    Attached Files

Re: '95 yj engine swap question

You will need complete donor drivetrain. Motor, trans, transfer case as the spline count is different from what I have been told, engine wiring harness, and computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [COLOR=#a9a9a9]Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration

POW/MIA
    Gone but Not Forgotten
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#d3d3d3]​[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks, I've been in a big debate for a while whether to swap a 4.0 in it or a 350 but its going to be my dd so would like to get decent mpg still... don't plan to do all this till beginning of next year but figured I'd try and get as much info on it before

Comment

Trust me when I say this.....I feel your pain. I have been building up my '90 YJ aptly named Damn It in the jeep build section.

The question of what motor etc... Has been plaguing me for the last 3 years. I almost bought a S-10 blazer donor to go the 4.3 route. Found folks the had the motor and wish they would have gone v8. With my no welding skill and torches to fab, I have figured it will cost me 3-5k from start to turn the key and run to do a swap.

POW/MIA
        Gone but Not Forgotten
        [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]
        [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]

Comment

Now one thing to consider. Look into the stand alone efi kits for the more popular v8'S. I have a '77 350 out of a truck, was thinking mild build and go with FAST efi stand alone fuel injection. Install, hit the key, and it learns itself.

MSD makes one as well called the Atomic

POW/MIA
          Gone but Not Forgotten
          [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]
          [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]

Comment

A friend and I did a 5.3L swap on his YJ years ago and it wasn't all that hard(with the right tools and skills of course). Probably a little more expensive I'm sure than a straight carbed V8 swap but he ended up getting over 20mpg and it wasn't all that difficult and there are plenty of builds on LS1tech for 5.3l swaps into anything and everything so the information is readily available. If I was going to do a V8 swap into anything it would be an LS based motor.
            '09 JKUR, 35" Nitto TG, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, MetalCloak Overlines, RockHard engine/trans skid, RK HD Pro Tie Rod, RK HD drag link, spiderweb shade, TF 3" LA, Adams Front shaft, Warn M8000
            [COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=arial black]I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Yes I've heard from some people that if your going to do an engine swap might as well go V8 because it don't cost a whole lot more but yes if I could find a decent inexpensive 5.3 with everything I need that'd be awesome and I would consider that route, I believe I have most tools to get the job done its just figuring out how to do it and my welding skills are pretty good, not a pro but I mean I can lay a pretty nice weld so I guess that comes in handy if need be

Comment

Motor mounts are a cinch if you can weld. If you can find a good 5.3/4L60E setup for the right price it's worth it. Just do lots of research before you dive in to make sure you know what it's going to take, there are lots of little things that can bite you if you don't plan for them but they are easy to plan for.
                '09 JKUR, 35" Nitto TG, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, MetalCloak Overlines, RockHard engine/trans skid, RK HD Pro Tie Rod, RK HD drag link, spiderweb shade, TF 3" LA, Adams Front shaft, Warn M8000
                [COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=arial black]I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Going from the 2.5 to the 4.0 you will need to change the motor stands on the frame. So take into consideration that you will have to cut the old mounts out and weld in the new.

Comment

Originally posted by rykemc View Post
                    Going from the 2.5 to the 4.0 you will need to change the motor stands on the frame. So take into consideration that you will have to cut the old mounts out and weld in the new.
                    you only have to change one mount from the 2.5 to the 4.0 on the frame.
                    if they built it I have had one or 10, if I have not had one yet, I am searching all the time for that type of jeep.
                    Remeber: it's not He who dies with the most toys wins it he who has played with the most toys has had a great life of playing.

Comment

As stated you will need the 4.0 & AX-15. You can either change the input on the transfer case or change the whole transfer case out. You can use a Cherokee 4.0, but you'll have to change the water pump as well as the alternator brackets and the p/s brackets if I recall correctly to YJ parts. The AX-15 from a Cherokee will work as well, but you'll need the shifter & shift tower for a YJ. Be sure to get an external slave bellhousing for the AX-15, you will be able to reuse your master & slave that way. You will also need the 4.0 ECU, a Cherokee ECU works just fine. It is actually very easy to use your existing 2.5 wiring harness, you will need to add 2 injector wires all the way back to the ECU and move a few wires around, but it works just fine. You will also need to move your motor towers & change your driveshafts. Your 2.5 fuel pump will work, but if I recall correctly you need to change the fuel lines in the engine compartment. I may be new here, but I have done this conversion many times already. This conversion is not as easy as one may think, which is why most people suggest doing a V8 conversion as it is about the same amount of work.

Comment

Working...
                      X