Getting Back Some Power!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Back Some Power!

Okay, so I'm looking to get some power back from my little 2.5....(Surprised? haha) I plan on getting an Inertia ring to start and I'm looking to get some G2 4.88's to throw in it as well. Here's where my question comes in. Would a mechanical locker be worth the buy to throw in the rear? My Brother and a buddy used Aussie's in their XJ's with stock gearing and had good luck with them. I'm just not sure if the 4.88's will make a huge difference on the reliability of the locker. Any one run this setup? I plan on leaving the front open for now. I live in northern Michigan, I do drive the jeep on the road, it's not my daily and most likely wont see winter roads. I Hit local trails regularly, and the Twisted Trails Offroad park near by every couple months or so. I don't play on rocks. Mostly little hill climbs and some mud. I feel it would be fine cause I'm pretty conservative with my gas pedal, just wanting second opinions. Thanks
    Stella
    2005 WK
    4.7L V8
    4" SuperLift
    285/70/17 ProComp Extreme MT2
    Method "Mesh" wheels 17x8.5 w/4.75" backspace
    AFE CAI
    MBRP XP Cat Back
    Yitamotor 52" Light bar
    Steel Armadillo Mounts
    Spyder Halo/Led headlights

Re: Getting Back Some Power!

Originally posted by BigSexyXJ View Post
    Okay, so I'm looking to get some power back from my little 2.5....(Surprised? haha) I plan on getting an Inertia ring to start and I'm looking to get some G2 4.88's to throw in it as well. Here's where my question comes in. Would a mechanical locker be worth the buy to throw in the rear? My Brother and a buddy used Aussie's in their XJ's with stock gearing and had good luck with them. I'm just not sure if the 4.88's will make a huge difference on the reliability of the locker. Any one run this setup? I plan on leaving the front open for now. I live in northern Michigan, I do drive the jeep on the road, it's not my daily and most likely wont see winter roads. I Hit local trails regularly, and the Twisted Trails Offroad park near by every couple months or so. I don't play on rocks. Mostly little hill climbs and some mud. I feel it would be fine cause I'm pretty conservative with my gas pedal, just wanting second opinions. Thanks
    I am running the G2/Currie hi Pinion 44 front (no longer an option) with 4.88's, eaton e locker, 30 spline chromo's, and G2/Currie Rock Jock 60 with 35 spline chromos, disc brakes, 4.88's and eaton e locker out back. I have an inertia ring that I WAS going to install, but decided against it. If you are trailering your jeep, then go for the inertia ring, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. The downside on a dd/weekend wheeler is the fact that yes it helps keep rpm's up, but at the same time, it takes longer to slow the jeep down. It weighs 9lbs, doesn't sound like much, but on the street I have heard it can be a pain in the rear. Takes more time for the motor to get up to speed as well. Another reason why it doesn't make it good for street use.

what tire size are you wanting to run? On 33's you will want 5.13's, wish I would have taken the advice, but I was also considering the fact I was going to do a V8 swap. STAY AWAY FROM AN AUBURN ECTD LOCKER, they are junk.

If you haven't done it already, upgrade to the 4.0 throttle body, and reuse your 2.5 tps, the 4.0 tps differs in the output, and install the dodge neon injectors.
    [COLOR=#a9a9a9]Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration

POW/MIA
    Gone but Not Forgotten
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#d3d3d3]​[/COLOR]

Comment

I am running a 1990 tbi 2.5, you have more motor power adders than I do. You can check out pics of my jeep in the facebook page at. More than happy to help out any way I can

I to clarify, I think I misunderstood your post, are you wanting to put 4.88's in your stock dana 35?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4511261&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1882609&type=1

POW/MIA
      Gone but Not Forgotten
      [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]
      [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]

Comment

Yes, I'm wanting to keep the stock axles. If a good deal comes along on a 9in/44 combo then ill go that route later down the road. I dont plan on lifting the jeep much more. I'm running 33's right now and don't plan to go bigger. It is street legal but I just take to down two tracks and back roads mostly. I've got my Duramax for a DD.

I've been looking into the throttle body swap. Been searching for one to throw in my Jeep.
        Stella
        2005 WK
        4.7L V8
        4" SuperLift
        285/70/17 ProComp Extreme MT2
        Method "Mesh" wheels 17x8.5 w/4.75" backspace
        AFE CAI
        MBRP XP Cat Back
        Yitamotor 52" Light bar
        Steel Armadillo Mounts
        Spyder Halo/Led headlights

Comment

Originally posted by BigSexyXJ View Post
          Yes, I'm wanting to keep the stock axles. If a good deal comes along on a 9in/44 combo then ill go that route later down the road. I dont plan on lifting the jeep much more. I'm running 33's right now and don't plan to go bigger. It is street legal but I just take to down two tracks and back roads mostly. I've got my Duramax for a DD.

I've been looking into the throttle body swap. Been searching for one to throw in my Jeep.
          a couple of things on regearing first....the cost to regear, unless you have a buddy that knows what he is doing, can run 800-1,000.00 to have a shop set the gears up per axle, around here, one shop charges 1k per axle. For that price you can have an 8.8 Ford Explorer axle out back that is just as good as the 44, DOWNSIDE, still need to regear. This is one of those pivotal moments that you ask yourself " what do I want tire size, and ability wise down the road " Once you figure that out, then just do it once, and be done. I literally could have saved thousands on my build, but back then, I didn't know squat about jeeps.

As for stock axles, 4.88's are going to be as low as you go, and at that, it gets long in the tooth.

As for more engine power, just swapping out to the 4.0 throttle body, switching out the tps from 2.5 to 4.0, and injector swap will give you more throttle control, smoother low end, and a little more seat of the pants feel

POW/MIA
          Gone but Not Forgotten
          [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]
          [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]

Comment

Working...
          X