YJ Drivetrain build recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ Drivetrain build recommendations

Ok, so it's official. My poor 4.11 dana 35 finally exploded. I was pretty mad, but on the other hand, it's time for a BUILD! Need some recommendations. Want to keep this under $1K.
    2.5L (for now), stock transfer case, haven't done the SYE yet (plan to), and also plan to do the SOA. Running 35's, 4 inch Rough country leaf springs and 3 inch body lift. Ready, GO!

Re: YJ Drivetrain build recommendations

Get a dana 44, ford 8.8 (comes with diskbrakes) out of an explorer, or a 9 inch. 4:58 gears would be cool but then you would have to gear match the front. If you have the necessary tools to set up ring and pinions than youre just looking at the price of gears and a master rebuild kit. 500-600 or so was how much it cost me last time i got lead foot.
    Getting an 8.8 or a 9 inch would be nice if youre switching to a bigger motor.
    Good luck!
    1974 CJ5 304 v8 Holley Ultra HP 600 cfm, headers through glasspacks, 3.73 gears dana 44 r 30 f, Dana 20 t-case, t-15 trans, 33x12.5 Cooper STTs and 3" Black Diamond double loop springs.

Comment

I recommend the 8.8. Soooooo stout and compatible with what you're doing. But you aren't going to spring over the jeep and swap anything in with different gears fir that budget. Try 3 times that and you'll be able to do it right.

Comment

Here is a list to help you decode what 8.8 is loaded with when you hit the junkyards, but yes the 8.8 is a popular upgrade. Good for up to 37's with skinny pedal control. 8.8 axle chart.jpg
        [COLOR=#a9a9a9]Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration

POW/MIA
        Gone but Not Forgotten
        [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]
        [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]
        [/COLOR][COLOR=#d3d3d3]​[/COLOR]

Comment

You can also contact East coast gear for a ready to bolt in 8.8, can run you more than 1k, depending on what you want done to it Complete Ford 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly Jeep YJ Ready to Bolt In Axle Swap
          [COLOR=#a9a9a9]Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration

POW/MIA
          Gone but Not Forgotten
          [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]
          [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]
          [/COLOR][COLOR=#d3d3d3]​[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
          X