Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 WK Build, Stella

Meet Stella
    Here she is, all cute looking and stock.

Not for long tho, big plans in store throughout the next few weeks.

Specs so far.
    2005 Loaded Laredo has the 4.7 V8 with 135,000 miles. Purr's like a Kitten. Picked up for $7,000

Build List (So Far)

Ordered:

Yitamotor 52" Curved 300W Combo light bar with harness for $78 (Amazon - Figured can't beat it for the price and decent reviews it has)
    Steel Armadillo WK Light Bar Mounts $50
    AFE Cold Air Intake for $325 (Ebay)

Next up:

MBRP 3" Cat back exhaust ~$480 (Looking for someone that has one in stock, Most seem to be on back order now and won't ship out for another 3 weeks)
    SuperLift 4" Lift Kit ~$2000 (Either Quadratec or Direct?)
    285/70/17 Pro Comp Extreme MT2 ~$1300 (Or Duratracs haven't decided yet. I have friends who use the Duratracs and love them but would like input on the Pro Comps)
    Method Mesh 17x8.5 Wheels with 4.75" Backspace ~$800
    Wheels and tires through a Local Shop.

Input on my tire choice and backspace would be cool too. I'm about 75% sure they will work without rubbing that seems to be the most common setup for the Superlift WK's.
    I'm aware I need to trim ineer fender and hammer down the pinch welds but will that suffice? Any one have any tips on what I'm about to go thru that has a WK with a Superlift on it or know someone that does?

Thanks for reading and keep posted for updates!!
    Stella
    2005 WK
    4.7L V8
    4" SuperLift
    285/70/17 ProComp Extreme MT2
    Method "Mesh" wheels 17x8.5 w/4.75" backspace
    AFE CAI
    MBRP XP Cat Back
    Yitamotor 52" Light bar
    Steel Armadillo Mounts
    Spyder Halo/Led headlights

Nice Grand! Cant wait to see what you do with it!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    07 JKUR,Currie lift w/Antirocks,Ultimate Dana 60's front and rear,Teraflex master cylinder,40"Toyo's on Level 8 Strike 8 wheels with Monster valves,Premier Power Welder,Pure Jeep rock rails,Expedition One rear bumper,customized Body Armor front bumper,Adam's 1350 driveshafts,M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid,20lb Co2,custom steel trunk enclosure,Warn X8000i,TrekArmor seat covers,Alien 20" LED bar and much...much more!

Comment

Thank Glen! Parts are slowly making their way and I'm getting more and more excited.

I've been reading up on an UCA problem with the WK's and how they can possibly break with a lift and over sized tires.

Is that a problem with lifts that don't correct ball joint angles?
      Does the Control arm break or does the ball joint give due to extreme angles?

Superlift supplies an aftermarket steering knuckle to correct the angles and keep them as close to stock as possible, would I need some JBA UCA's?? Or would I not have to worry since Superlift supplies that steering knuckle?
      Stella
      2005 WK
      4.7L V8
      4" SuperLift
      AFE CAI
      MBRP XP Cat Back
      Yitamotor 52" Light bar
      Steel Armadillo Mounts

Comment

Unfortunately I do not have any experience lifting WK's or know of any problems resulting from lifting them. If I come across any information on it I will post it here for you.
        07 JKUR,Currie lift w/Antirocks,Ultimate Dana 60's front and rear,Teraflex master cylinder,40"Toyo's on Level 8 Strike 8 wheels with Monster valves,Premier Power Welder,Pure Jeep rock rails,Expedition One rear bumper,customized Body Armor front bumper,Adam's 1350 driveshafts,M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid,20lb Co2,custom steel trunk enclosure,Warn X8000i,TrekArmor seat covers,Alien 20" LED bar and much...much more!

Comment

Well made some progress. The AFE cold air intake and mounts came in on Tuesday. Put the intake on that day, easy install took me about an hour, still need to get a pic.

Got the light bar and mounts on tonight, went pretty good. Had to cut and grind part of the weather strip moulding for them to fit and be nice and low. But looks great and you cant even tell. The wiring harness supplied with the light bar was easy to use and hook up. Hardest part was fishing the switch thru the grommet in the firewall.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Stella
          2005 WK
          4.7L V8
          4" SuperLift
          AFE CAI
          MBRP XP Cat Back
          Yitamotor 52" Light bar
          Steel Armadillo Mounts

Comment

Was able to snap some pics on break today of what the AFE setup looks like and how I mounted the light bar.

The CAI uses the bottom half of the stock air box and inlet, just replaces tube, filter and an open top design for more flow. Not really a "cold" air intake but can definitely hear it sucking tons more air. Should really help once I get the exhaust on.

Now the Steel Armadillo brackets were advertised as completley bolt on so maybe I didnt do something right, but I like the way I did it. I like how it snugs the top of the windshield. You can see where I had to cut and grind the trim for the weather stripping to get the bracket to fit. But once the weather strip is installed you cant even tell. So far I'm happy with the Amazon light bar and harness. Just gonna keep looking for moisture in it as thats the most common reason these cheap bars fail.

Stella
            2005 WK
            4.7L V8
            4" SuperLift
            AFE CAI
            MBRP XP Cat Back
            Yitamotor 52" Light bar
            Steel Armadillo Mounts

Comment

Yes, by all means get the JBA UCAs. I run them on my lifted KJ and they are worth every penny.

Also my Duratracs have served me well. Really happy with them
              O2 KJ-R
              2.5 OME LIFT, JCR sliders, GY Duratracs on Moabs, JBA Gen 4.5 A Arms, Yaesu VHF and 18" whip, Plasti Dip, Camo,

[COLOR=#00ff00]Resident Forbidden RC nut
              [/COLOR][COLOR=#999999]Sliver State[/COLOR]

Comment

Here's the thing though, If I don't need the UCA's I don't want to buy them. I only want to buy them if I absolutely need.

What is the purpose of upgrading to the JBA UCA's besides a stronger control arm? To correct ball joint, steering and CV angles? I'm under the assumption the superlift steering knuckle corrects those angles and it shouldn't be a problem.

If its still a big possibility my front wheels could fail because the ball joint gives due to bad angles then I'll buy them, I just don't want to spend more than I have to.
                Stella
                2005 WK
                4.7L V8
                4" SuperLift
                AFE CAI
                MBRP XP Cat Back
                Yitamotor 52" Light bar
                Steel Armadillo Mounts

Comment

Did some more work over the week on Stella. I'm planning to make it look good once everything is said and done. Its a little too ricey for my taste right now haha but Im happy with it.

Added some Spyder halo/led head lights.

Also did some plasti dip hopd stripes with her name in a sillhouette style.

Stripes came out okay, should have peeled the tape back before it dried to get smoother lines but I had a trock to make it work, just took alot of time.

Im happy with how it turned out and its just making me more anxious for the lift wheels and tires.

Stella
                  2005 WK
                  4.7L V8
                  4" SuperLift
                  AFE CAI
                  MBRP XP Cat Back
                  Yitamotor 52" Light bar
                  Steel Armadillo Mounts

Comment

Well huuuuge bump in the road. Turns out superlift doeant make a lift for the 05.....only 06-07. I REALLY wish i knew that before I bought an 05.... Im not sure what to do now. Guess I need to do more research.....

Stella
                    2005 WK
                    4.7L V8
                    4" SuperLift
                    AFE CAI
                    MBRP XP Cat Back
                    Yitamotor 52" Light bar
                    Steel Armadillo Mounts

Comment

Well, I dont know what tire size you had in mind but if you just wanted to jump to the next size up or two and freshen up the suspension, the OME kit is worth looking into
                      http://jeepinbyal.com/grand-cherokee...kit-wk-xk.html

If you would like to go higher, JBA has several systems available so it would be worth checking out (yes they work with the 05s). Actually Im curious to know why the Superlift does not work with the 05s, so if you get an answer, post it here.

As for the JBA UCAs, the ball joint is larger, replaceable and does correct for changes in geometry resulting in lifting. That said, if your current UCA Ball joints are nice and tight, you can probably get away with lifting it and holding off on the new UCAs at least for a while. Look into them when it comes time to replace them.
                      O2 KJ-R
                      2.5 OME LIFT, JCR sliders, GY Duratracs on Moabs, JBA Gen 4.5 A Arms, Yaesu VHF and 18" whip, Plasti Dip, Camo,

[COLOR=#00ff00]Resident Forbidden RC nut
                      [/COLOR][COLOR=#999999]Sliver State[/COLOR]

Comment

Well I decided to just buy the super lift kit after I found this thread from RockCrawler http://www.rockcrawler.com/tours/superlift/index.asp

The lift was made based off a 2005...So I think I'm good to go. Ordered lift last night and wheels and tires this morning!!

The guy at Superlift just stated that they wouldn't work for an 05 "Because Jeep changed the suspension from 05 to 06" I can't find any of those changes anywhere So I think he was just going by what their page said which was 2006-2007 and just told me no.

Since I didnt want to take no for an answer, I did some digging and found that article. Good thing too cause I was really bummed out for a minute.
                        Stella
                        2005 WK
                        4.7L V8
                        4" SuperLift
                        AFE CAI
                        MBRP XP Cat Back
                        Yitamotor 52" Light bar
                        Steel Armadillo Mounts

Comment

Well geeze if it's not one thing its another haha.

Turns out they are waiting for the rear control arms from manufacturing. Says they should have them within the next few weeks so we shall see!
                          Stella
                          2005 WK
                          4.7L V8
                          4" SuperLift
                          AFE CAI
                          MBRP XP Cat Back
                          Yitamotor 52" Light bar
                          Steel Armadillo Mounts

Comment

Well I followed up with Superlift thru email after I got off the phone with the guy that originally told me no. The production manager was the one that emailed me back saying that it does infact work for the 2005. Cool beans.
                            Stella
                            2005 WK
                            4.7L V8
                            4" SuperLift
                            AFE CAI
                            MBRP XP Cat Back
                            Yitamotor 52" Light bar
                            Steel Armadillo Mounts

Comment

I know there are a few companies that lift WKs. I will have to ask around.
                              [COLOR=#ffff00]sigpic[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X