ZJ, my first rig!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZJ, my first rig!

[COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]Here she is, guess I had better start a build thread for my new ZJ, so here it is!

Here she is the day I brought her home, 169,500 miles on the clock, 5.2 v8. Quadratrac full time 4x4

I got new Bone Collector seat covers and steering wheel cover, all with Realtree AP camo patterns.

A few days after bringing her home, I decided to get under and see about getting those running boards of. I had managed to loosen 1 bolt when I looked towards the front, only to discover I had no front drive shaft, and upon closer inspection I discovered I had no axle shafts in the front either. I wasn't too happy, that's for sure.

So, a fellow Forbidden Jeeper up in Kansas volunteered to give me, for free, both front and rear axles out of his own ZJ, so that I may have a fully functional Jeep again!! Awesome!!! My dad has also found a 96 ZJ that would be an awesome parts truck, I could take whatever I needed off of to throw into mine, so we may go that rout as well.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yesterday I changed the oil in the old girl, looked like it was at least 4k miles overdue for a change, it looked like soupy mud. She seems to run better and smoother now as well.

Also, as I was in a fix-it mood yesterday, I finally got around to pulling my running boards off. Looks much better in my opinion!!
    [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff8c00] If you don't know me... Well... *shakes fist*
    [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#00ff00]1998 Grand Cherokee ZJ
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#FFA500]5.2 v8 full time 4x4, 31x10.50 BFG KM2s, 15x8 Cragar 342, custom inner fender shaping, trimmed front bumper,
    Flowtech Warlock bypass series muffler, Rough Country 3.5" budget short arm lift, [/COLOR][COLOR=#00ff00]ForbiddenJeeps.com decals[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00],
    Pyle Blue Label speakers(for now, set of JK Infinity's + sub to put in later)[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFA500]

[/COLOR][COLOR=#00ff00]Build thread[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFA500]
    [/COLOR]

Re: ZJ, my first rig!

Thats awesome that you'll have a donor Jeep to pull parts from! Just don't break the good parts in the process of removing them! What all do you have planned for the rig?

Comment

Originally posted by jeepin_idaho View Post
      Thats awesome that you'll have a donor Jeep to pull parts from! Just don't break the good parts in the process of removing them! What all do you have planned for the rig?
      [COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]
      Thanks!!! Not going to go too crazy with it, gonna go with a 3.5" lift and 31x10.5" BFG ATs on 15x8 steel Cragars, gonna go with a Go Rhino brush guard and some auxilery lights, and that will be the end of it for a while. I'll throw some other stuff on eventually, but for now just as I have mentioned. My dad and I plan to lift it at the same time that we swap axles, and tires either shortly after or shortly before. Eventually I'd like to have an ARB bumper with a winch in it, full cage inside, and a custom top that I can take off like a Wrangler hard top(Still not completely decided on that though). Maybe a 5" lift down the road on 35s[/SIZE][/COLOR]
      Last edited by JK4Lyfe; 12-20-2012, 09:21 AM. Reason: Added quote

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFA500]5.2 v8 full time 4x4, 31x10.50 BFG KM2s, 15x8 Cragar 342, custom inner fender shaping, trimmed front bumper,
      Flowtech Warlock bypass series muffler, Rough Country 3.5" budget short arm lift, [/COLOR][COLOR=#00ff00]ForbiddenJeeps.com decals[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00],
      Pyle Blue Label speakers(for now, set of JK Infinity's + sub to put in later)[/COLOR][COLOR=#FFA500]

[/COLOR]

Comment

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff8c00]Did some work today, put camo wrap stuff on my wood grain interior panels, working on the shift bezel now. Also want to do the switch panels on the doors, as well as the panels that hold the cruise controls on the steering wheel

Here's the shifter handle

Also, got a look at my speakers today, kinda scary.... I now know why they sound like total crap though

Drivers front

Drivers rear how I found it behind the door panel

Drivers rear put back together

Now that the back speaker is put together, it doesn't sound nearly as bad!! I can actually have some bass in my music now without it being annoying beyond comparison. Need to check the passenger rear, noticed it's starting to talk a little bit now too...... I really just need 4 new speakers.

Gonna put my shift bezel back together in the morning and camo it, also gonna separate my catalytic converter and muffler to give it more growl for a while until I can get a Flowmaster Super 44[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR=#add8e6][SIZE=4][FONT=arial narrow]Nice job! I do like the look without the running boards, it suits you better I love the camo wrap for sure! I'm sorry to hear that you are finding some things wrong that you didn't expect, but be patient. Keep up the good work, stay safe, be smart, and well, you know.......... keep us posted here as you continue to enjoy your Jeep [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
          ForbiddenJeeps Admin 2015 JKU - Hydro Blue ~ Toyo A/T ~ Fuel Full Blown Wheels ~ Wurx Offroad Front and Rear Bumper ~ M.O.R.E. Oil pan/tranny skid ~ Rampage Tail Light Guards ~ Surprise Straps ~ Jeep seat covers, slush mats (front and rear) & cargo mat

Wayne Was Here... Thanks for stopping by, Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by BethJKU10 View Post
            [COLOR=#add8e6][SIZE=4][FONT=arial narrow]Nice job! I do like the look without the running boards, it suits you better I love the camo wrap for sure! I'm sorry to hear that you are finding some things wrong that you didn't expect, but be patient. Keep up the good work, stay safe, be smart, and well, you know.......... keep us posted here as you continue to enjoy your Jeep [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]Thanks Beth! I like it much better without the running boards as well
            Thanks!! I got the sheets at a local sporting goods/ hunting store quite a while ago, and finally found something to use it for LOL Previously all I used it for was to wrap the battery cover on my phone.
            All things wrong has just been a well needed learning experience is how I choose to look at it
            I'll keep working on her, and definitely keep you posted! (Actually what I'm about to do!)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Comment

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff8c00]Got my 15x8 Steel Cragar 342 D window rims and 31x10.5 BFG KM2s installed the other day, here's her new look![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]Had to pull the bumper skin off and pound a little...... .Had some wicked rubbing otherwise[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff8c00]My ZJ probably hates me now....... But, this is ironic, because it's got the cutesy elf garb, and she's straight piped at the moment while I am attempting to put my Flowtech on it, so shes got the sweet look with the wicked v8 bite
              You can see my factory muffler laying on the ground underneath it, too late to turn back now![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#FF8C00]
              Also, had it all tuned up. Got a full system flush, new spark plugs (Old ones were so dead they looked like they could have been the ones that came on it from the factory). Got a new cap and rotor also. Got a new high side power steering pump....... And my Jeep decided last week that it wanted to have a transmission fluid leak, so we got her a new trans filter and pan gasket and new fluid. The mechanic said it needs new hub bearings (which I knew already) and new shocks and a new steering stabilizer. I told him not to worry about any of that because we're swapping in good new(used) axles from a buddy and putting a lift on it, so it's all getting replaced anyway so no point in paying to have them do it. Also got new washer pumps put in, so I can now clean my windshield!!!

Anyway, she runs awesome! Now to get the 4x4 working and then I can start playing

My factory 15x7, 5 on 4.5 aluminum rims will be going up for sale soon if anyone is interested. I'll post in the [/COLOR][COLOR=#00ff00]Swap Shop[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF8C00] when I put them up for sale.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
              Last edited by JK4Lyfe; 12-20-2012, 09:33 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR=#add8e6][SIZE=4][FONT=arial narrow]Love the new wheels and tires! Really adds to the appearance [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                ForbiddenJeeps Admin 2015 JKU - Hydro Blue ~ Toyo A/T ~ Fuel Full Blown Wheels ~ Wurx Offroad Front and Rear Bumper ~ M.O.R.E. Oil pan/tranny skid ~ Rampage Tail Light Guards ~ Surprise Straps ~ Jeep seat covers, slush mats (front and rear) & cargo mat

Comment

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR="#FFFF00"]keep up the awesome work!!!looks great!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

[COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]Thanks Beth and Hunter!!

It's been a while since I've updated this, so I'll do that now

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since my last update several things have been done to my ZJ.

First off, I put some decals on, I am now officially a Forbidden Jeeper, as well has a Houston Jeep People member!!
                    [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=3]
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]Dad and I (mostly Dad LOL) got my exhaust on finally! I have no pictures though, I'll edit when I get some. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff8c00]Also, we got a cheap (And scary!) temporary lift put on so my tires stop rubbing on my fenders. And, front bumper is trimmed and re-installed now [/COLOR]

[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]Rear on:
                    [/SIZE][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#FF8C00]
                    [SIZE=3]Also, got my headlights cleared up, I can actually see at night now![/SIZE]

[/COLOR]
                    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff8c00]
                    Got new speakers in, nothing fancy, just way better than the stock ones! Soon I'll be getting a 5 or 6 channel amp to replace the factory amp and I'll be adding an 8 inch subwoofer to round out my audio, my goal is to get a system that works like the factory JK audio system
                    [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff8c00]

Broke 170K miles! Forgot to get a picture at 170k, so I got one at 170,006 and 170,100
                    Got my CB from Josh! Cobra 29 LTD SoundTracker Going to do an in-dash installation, I'm going to pull out my lower VIC in front of my shifter (see above post for picture of VIC) because it's absolutely useless since I have the full time transfer case (All the lower VIC does is indicate 4x4)

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very near future: Ordering a set of A Pillar light brackets from Detours Offroad Hardware today hopefully, and a set of 100 Watt KCs to go on them. Also will be ordering my coax and whip antennas very soon, when it all comes in I'm taking it all in to my shop class and drilling a couple more holes in the brackets so I can mount my CB whips on the brackets as well as the lights

Pictures to follow when they come in, as well as build thread updates and also some how-to/ installation videos/ threads
                    [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Comment

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=5][COLOR="#FFFF00"]did you put your cb in yet? and jeep is looking good bro keep up the work and keep us updated bro!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Double Nasty View Post
                        [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=5][COLOR=#FFFF00]did you put your cb in yet? and jeep is looking good bro keep up the work and keep us updated bro!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
                        [SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff8c00]

Not yet buddy, been waiting until I get all the stuff I need, that way I only have to tear apart the dash once to install it

Thanks, sure will do!! I've been having fun building her [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR=#add8e6][SIZE=4][FONT=arial narrow]You are doing a great job Casey! Looking good [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Agreed!!!!

Sent from your moms phone....

Comment

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff8c00]Thanks!!

I've been considering repainting her, the current paint is starting to show it's age, plus I'm not a real big fan of the color white...... I've been thinking I want to paint her Mango Tango orange [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X