Storage systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage systems

After going for years and years of letting my gear roll around in the back of my XJ, I finally decided to do something about it. I was also tired of having to go through the mental checklist every time I'm getting ready to head out to the trails or to go camping. So my solution was to build a storage system for the cargo area. Now my XJ is ready at all times with what I think is the essential bits of kit for offroad adventures.

First here's a list of everything that is in the back:[LIST][*]Chuck box - portable kitchen with everything that I could need for cooking awesome food in the backcountry [*]recovery gear [*]cooler [*]tools [*]axe [*]spare fluids [*]spare parts [/LIST]

Now what does this all look like? Like this....
    1008567_602144326474411_1606617219_o.jpg1048175_602143749807802_411635163_o.jpg1048838_605547132800797_694056641_o.jpg

How does it all work? Like this....

So even though I'm done building the box, I'm curious what everyone thinks of it, what they would do differently, and what you've already done.

Re: Storage systems

really well thought out and executed...congrats dan!
    [COLOR=#a9a9a9]Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration

POW/MIA
    Gone but Not Forgotten
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#d3d3d3]​[/COLOR]

Comment

Very nice. I am as well a 220ish kinda guy .
      __________________________________________________ _____________
      PA State Moderator

1982 CJ7
      4inch skyjacker easy ride (75% complete at the moment).
      Bald ass 31 inch Ground Hawg's that I hope to upgrade shortly.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Comment

Originally posted by jeepin_idaho View Post
        After going for years and years of letting my gear roll around in the back of my XJ, I finally decided to do something about it. I was also tired of having to go through the mental checklist every time I'm getting ready to head out to the trails or to go camping. So my solution was to build a storage system for the cargo area. Now my XJ is ready at all times with what I think is the essential bits of kit for offroad adventures.

First here's a list of everything that is in the back:[LIST][*]Chuck box - portable kitchen with everything that I could need for cooking awesome food in the backcountry[*]recovery gear[*]cooler[*]tools[*]axe[*]spare fluids[*]spare parts[/LIST]

Now what does this all look like? Like this....
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]13668[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13669[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13670[/ATTACH]

How does it all work? Like this....

So even though I'm done building the box, I'm curious what everyone thinks of it, what they would do differently, and what you've already done.
        Damn that's one awesome setup. Great job. I can totally relate to wanting to be prepared. You have just struck a nerve. I am going to take a look at the back of my JK and take some measurements. I really like this. Thank you for posting. I'm really considering something like this now.
        it's my X

Comment

[COLOR=#add8e6][SIZE=4][FONT=arial narrow]I think this is a great system! I do have a few questions:

Did you say you had loops to tie down the objects above the storage box?
          Can you give some more info on the hardware you used, such as the drop down door that you double as a tailgate?
          Can you remove the whole storage box, or did you fasten it to your Jeep?

Thank you for posting this up. You did a great job![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
          ForbiddenJeeps Admin 2015 JKU - Hydro Blue ~ Toyo A/T ~ Fuel Full Blown Wheels ~ Wurx Offroad Front and Rear Bumper ~ M.O.R.E. Oil pan/tranny skid ~ Rampage Tail Light Guards ~ Surprise Straps ~ Jeep seat covers, slush mats (front and rear) & cargo mat

Wayne Was Here... Thanks for stopping by, Wayne

Comment

Beth, Here's a few pictures of the tie downs for the items above the box.

13 - 2.jpg13 - 3.jpg13 - 4.jpg

For the tailgate I used a gate hinge from Lowe's. It was about $8 each and I used 2. The limit straps are ropes with a working load of 200 lbs so it is safe for me to sit on. I have it attached to the sides of the box using some metal straps screwed in and the tailgate part has some eye-bolts and the rope is tied on using a bowline knot.

13 - 1.jpg

I considered attaching the box to the floor a lot but in the end I decided against it. With it being as heavy as it is, its not going anyhwere. I also have it so that it fit tightly up against the back of the seat and it matches the slant of the seat. So it sits wedged between the back seat and the liftgate.

I still need to get a cargo barrier like this one from Raingler: www.raingler.com

Comment

Oh and I forgot to mention that I used t-nuts to attach all the hardware. The t-nus sink in just enough when you tighten them down that they sit flush with the wood. It still provides plenty of threads to grab doesn't take up any more room like a regular nut would. The decision to use them was a good one and I totally recommend that anyone else that is going to tackle this kind of project look into using them.

Comment

looks great man and thanks for posting it up as I am sure others with xjs will want to make one and other jeep owners can mod it a bit to fit their jeep.
                if they built it I have had one or 10, if I have not had one yet, I am searching all the time for that type of jeep.
                Remeber: it's not He who dies with the most toys wins it he who has played with the most toys has had a great life of playing.

Comment

If you are wanting to save some money on the cargo barrier, you can make your own out of a pickup truck tailgate net. I did that in an old Bronco my brother had, worked out great!
                  07 JKUR,Currie lift w/Antirocks,Ultimate Dana 60's front and rear,Teraflex master cylinder,40"Toyo's on Level 8 Strike 8 wheels with Monster valves,Premier Power Welder,Pure Jeep rock rails,Expedition One rear bumper,customized Body Armor front bumper,Adam's 1350 driveshafts,M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid,20lb Co2,custom steel trunk enclosure,Warn X8000i,TrekArmor seat covers,Alien 20" LED bar and much...much more!

Comment

Glen, that's a great idea! I'll start looking around for a cheap one.

Dan
                    http://the4x4podcast.com

Comment

Working...
                    X