The Headlight Shootout Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Headlight Shootout Thread

This is the place to add your headlight setups, costs and reviews. Please feel free to add and give detailed info on quality, output, pros and cons. Bulbs, housings, leds, hids and kits are welcome for all vehicles.
    --[COLOR=#fff0f5]Derek Broadmeyer[/COLOR]--
    *Connecticut Moderator*
    2012 Rubicon Unlimited
    Derek92384@gmail.com
    @Eugenegeep on twitter

Re: The Headlight Shootout Thread

ive got truck lite led headlights on my 2007 jku. love them. i bought them from rebel offroad for $450? something like that. i also run 2 dually d2 driving beams on my bumper. the two things combined put great, smooth, white light output. highly suggest truck lites!!

Comment

I like Clint's headlights the best

Comment

[COLOR=#add8e6][SIZE=4][FONT=arial narrow]I am running the Crystal Vision Ultra Halogen Headlamps (bulbs). They are a little brighter than stock, but certainly can't compare to the Truck -lites. They were given as a gift, so I don't know a price.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
        ForbiddenJeeps Admin 2015 JKU - Hydro Blue ~ Toyo A/T ~ Fuel Full Blown Wheels ~ Wurx Offroad Front and Rear Bumper ~ M.O.R.E. Oil pan/tranny skid ~ Rampage Tail Light Guards ~ Surprise Straps ~ Jeep seat covers, slush mats (front and rear) & cargo mat

Wayne Was Here... Thanks for stopping by, Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by SERE View Post
          I like Clint's headlights the best
          Clint has trucklite phase 7's

Comment

Originally posted by BethJKU10 View Post
            [COLOR=#add8e6][SIZE=4][FONT=arial narrow]I am running the Crystal Vision Ultra Halogen Headlamps (bulbs). They are a little brighter than stock, but certainly can't compare to the Truck -lites. They were given as a gift, so I don't know a price.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
            I ran these same bulbs, the Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra's, for a week and they were better than the OEM but that isn't hard. I then switched over the the Street Glow Xenon bulbs and they were a little better than the Phillips but much better than the OEM. Still no comparison to a complete headlight upgrade but for ~$45.00 a very worthwhile upgrade. I purchased them from my local NAPA store. They were awesome about letting me try a couple of different bulbs.

We put the Delta quad-bar housings/bulbs in my son's LJ and it was a huge improvement over the OEM. Total cost on that kit was just under $100.00 from Quadratec.

Mike.
            2011 JKU Rubicon
            BDS Long-Arm Suspension System/ 17x9 ATX Crawl wheels/35" BFG KM2's/ Warn Powerplant/Plus much much more.

http://My 2011 JKU Rubicon Build Thread

Comment

Rebel Hellfire 4300 HIDs. Super easy to install. The hardest part is where to place the ballasts, power pack(capacitor) and the wires. For the 2012 model JK i did have to remove the o rings from the stock bulbs and added them to the HID bulb housing to get a tighter seal. I do have a hum when the high beam is on and the jk is running. Rebel says it is common but to check the grounds/ ballast location. I will move them at some point.

Pros: Bright and you have an HID high beam
              Easy to install
              Rebels customer service
              Stock Housings are used and have a great light cut-off

Cons: The fuse is not water proof ( going to change it)
              Bulb was loose but easily fixed with stock o-rings
              Hard to hide the ballasts and capacitor but I got it done

I will do some more writing after I use these on the road at night.
              Attached Files
              *Connecticut Moderator*
              2012 Rubicon Unlimited
              Derek92384@gmail.com
              @Eugenegeep on twitter

Comment

I have used Truck-Lites now for 3 years. Mine are the model 5250 I believe the honey comb style using 10 LEDs. I love the military look rather than the newer more car like styling. I use the older style (BC) Before Clint's style. They run at 1300 lumens and have polycarbite lens. There are no moving parts to rattle and break over time. over the years I have only been "highbeamed" twice cause I was on an upward slope. These lights use less power than a dome light. Normal lights last 1250 hours, these are suppose to last 30,000 to 50,000 hours. On a TJ the install is minutes with a star driver and simple plug and play. For a JK you will need the extra adapter plug.
                Price wise is anywhere from $260 each to $300. When you think of the life of the light compared to normal it is a great deal.
                [COLOR=#ffff00]sigpic[/COLOR]

Comment

So night time= awesomeness. Had to level them but holy cow they are bright. Why jeep hasn't done these stock kills me. Jeep do hids!
                  *Connecticut Moderator*
                  2012 Rubicon Unlimited
                  Derek92384@gmail.com
                  @Eugenegeep on twitter

Comment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355626603.876902.jpg

Alrighty so I got mine from DDM in china

just want to get out of the way: long ass wait on shipping (3.5 weeks)

And no instructions were given (if anyone cares about that)

I WILL UPLOAD PICS OF WIRING AND ALL OF THAT STUFF IN THE MORNING ONCE THERE IS MORE LIGHT OUT

1) 6k hi and lo beam kit in Jk stock housing
                    2) $75 shipping included
                    3) very very very very bright white light (flashed by people all the time)
                    4) hi beams shine all the way to the sky
                    5) balances do get a little hot but not to bad
                    6) install took less than 10 minutes
                    7) did have a little trouble fitting the bulbs into the housing but I got them in carefully
                    8) They make a loud clicking noise when switching from lo to hi beam
                    9) they warm up very fast (almost instantly)
                    10) not a whole lot of wiring
                    11) BIGGEST PRO: white light and they cover a far distance
                    12) BIGGEST CON: they are very spot lighting...they shine right upfront of the lights far out but don't flood hardly at all (ill take a photo and post it next time I'm out in some country roads)

Overall: they are great lights for the price of $75 dollars. They probably arnt as good as hellfires that Rebel Offroad sells, but are steal for anyone who just wants to see better, doesn't want to put a dent in their paycheck, or care about having top of the line. I would recommend them to anyone in those situations just above.

Comment

I have had hid's on my jku since the day I bought it. My only problem is that I live in Maryland. So I had to lower my beams so that I don't blind oncoming traffic. I had hi/lo digital hid's in 6k, and they had more problems than they where worth. So I switched to low beam hid's and there fine. Now the big BUT...after seeing trucklite phase 7's and there lite output it was almost identical to my hid light output. Plus the trucklite headlights look way cooler. so I pulled the trigger and ordered a set. That being said hid's are worth the money, but if you have the extra cash go trucklite phase 7. They just look sexy ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha Team View Post
                        I have had hid's on my jku since the day I bought it. My only problem is that I live in Maryland. So I had to lower my beams so that I don't blind oncoming traffic. I had hi/lo digital hid's in 6k, and they had more problems than they where worth. So I switched to low beam hid's and there fine. Now the big BUT...after seeing trucklite phase 7's and there lite output it was almost identical to my hid light output. Plus the trucklite headlights look way cooler. so I pulled the trigger and ordered a set. That being said hid's are worth the money, but if you have the extra cash go trucklite phase 7. They just look sexy ;-)
                        I live in Maryland as well and my old halogens were aimed high but I never had any problems with getting pulled over

Comment

I guess it depends where in md. It's less getting pulled over and more what else will they find to be a illegal mod. I live by the main state trooper barracks in Baltimore county so I pass it everyday, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Baltimore city has a ban on hid's but its still not enforced. I wouldn't worry about it for anybody who is concerned, but stick with 43-6k and no higher kelvin.

Comment

Ohh see I live in Fredrick md so over here no one gives a damn

Comment

Working...
                            X