General Grabber A/T-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Grabber A/T-2

Bought a set of these back in July of 2012. LT33x12.5R15 E-Rated. Cost: about 180USD per tire.Current mileage on the tires is +/- 5k...Mounted on Cragar Soft 8 8x15". Absolutely LOVE them! I've never been a fan of all-terrains but these cut the deal for any weekend warrior. They mounted and balanced easily, didnt require much weight at all. These are all-terrains that have all of the positives of less-aggressive tires (Daily driving and comfort) while they somehow manage to perform like entry-level mud terrains! I have used them in every type of terrain, so I'll review them by each:

First off, my driving style: 2006 TJR with 4" lift, 4.0 I6 motor. I am a TIA certified Tire Technician.
    I am light on the pedals, and am trained in professional driving techniques. These include double clutch/ rev-match downshifting, heel-toe rev-matches, and double-tap downshifts. I do not accelerate rapidly, and do not slow rapidly except in panic-stops. However, I do maintain quite a bit of speed through corners. (Not aggressive speeds, but enough to make some people mildly uncomfortable). I do not tow with the vehicle.

Loose/Soft Sand: Average performance. Went to the beach and aired down to about 18psi, worked flawlessly. Positive responsiveness, yet slippery enough to keep me from digging myself in. On hard-packed sand, they perform just as well. Grippy but not overbitten.

Loose / Packed Dirt: Performance is fantastic. They are right at home and won't leave you wanting under any conditions or at any incline.

Pavement/Interstate: I regulary drive on US I-90. I keep them aired to 33psi and have no qualms. They are quieter than most all terrains, and the tread compund is dense enough that they don't wear out quickly. Handling is positive and very responsive, they grip well and do not create any vibrations or inconsistent traits. On wet roads, they perform to expectations of big tires, somewhat easy to hydroplane at speed, and at lower speeds, (<40mph) water on roads will catch you and slow whatever wheel it touches, with high noticability (keep your hands on the wheel!)

Clay: THe tires perform well in clay, however, if the clay is wet, see the mud section.

Thick Mud: Thick, soupy mud seems to be the only weakness of these tires. AS far as A/T's go, these are the best for this terrain, but do not stack up to M/T's. With that said, they are still decent if you can get them to clean-out. (speedo seems to be about 20-30mph to clean them out). AS sated earlier, they do resemble mud-terrains, however, they will only equal the worst mud terrains on the market.

Packed Mud: Packed mud performance is surprisingly good. The tires have enough bite to get you where you want to go, recommend airing down for better performance. The unique squared-edge of the tread aids in biting into the terrain, creating the looser material these tires crave.

Snow/Ice: Snow performance is great! The numerous sipes in the tread lugs aid in performance, as well as the standard drilled spaces for optional studding. ( I did not use studs) I kept them aired to the normal 33psi for on-road snowdriving, and aired down to 23psi for offroad-snow. As an additional tidbit, I was able to push a Mazda 6 uphill on hard-packed snow with underlying ice, in 2 wheel drive! (My front driveshaft had been removed) It was not easy, but I was able to do it. As far as solid ice, we all know that nothing is good, but if the studs were installed, I'm sure they'd do great.

Rocks: Good performance, nothing to scream about, but good, solid performance. Aired at 13-15 psi, they perform as well as your rig can. One extra note, the walls are VERY durable. It'll take a lot to slice these things up. Aided by a high ply-rating.

Swamp/Wet Grass: As with thick mud, performance is not so hot. They'll get you where you want to go, but its no cakewalk. Managed to pull out a 99 Landcruiser with them, but needed lockers and momentum to do it. Recommendation: Be prepared for outside help. Maybe a winch.

Fuel Efficiency: saw good gains over my old tires. Switching from Goodyear MTR Kevlars, I am now getting just shy of 16mpg on the highway. This is with a 4.0 wrangler rubicon, 4" lift, 6-speed manual, and the stock d44's with stock 4.11 gears. Typical cruising speed is 66-68 mph, and I upshift at about 2.5k rpms.

Rolling resistance/ Weight: The tires are surprisingly light, about 50 lbs. with 15x18 steelies (no air included).

Looks: They are surprisingly aggressive looking, but tame enough that they dont cause much drone/humming. I don't notice it unless I listen for it carefully.

Treadwear: at just over 5k miles on them, they still look brand new. The tiny little hairs from the molding process are gone now, but other than that, they look brand new. Tread compund is on the denser side, aiding in tread life, but is soft enough to give exceptional grip on any surface. 33-35 psi seems to be the happy-place for my particular rig. (35 in summer, 33 in winter)

Overall, for the price V. Performance, I'll rate these as the best All-Terrains on the market. Have tried everything from BFG to Dick Cepeck and ProComp, and these have outperformed all of them. Once you couple that with the low price, you have a complete winner. 10 of 10.
    Russ
    Forbiddenjeeps Northeast USA Moderator
    Founder/Administrator at LIW (Long Island Wheelers)
    Auto Mechanic

'04 WJ 4.0L, Selec-Trac, Goodyear Duratrac 225/70R16-----'80 MG B-Series Roadster, Resto-mod, General Altimax
    ***RIP*** ----- *Cause of Death*
    '06 TJR "Fangul" 4"Custom lift, General Grabber A/T-2 33x12.5R15 ----- Tree/Back Ice

Re: General Grabber A/T-2

A video example of the tires in action. Follow the TJ...
    OzwheelOswego at WPH 2013 - YouTube
    Russ
    Forbiddenjeeps Northeast USA Moderator
    Founder/Administrator at LIW (Long Island Wheelers)
    Auto Mechanic

'04 WJ 4.0L, Selec-Trac, Goodyear Duratrac 225/70R16-----'80 MG B-Series Roadster, Resto-mod, General Altimax
    ***RIP*** ----- *Cause of Death*
    '06 TJR "Fangul" 4"Custom lift, General Grabber A/T-2 33x12.5R15 ----- Tree/Back Ice

Comment

Re: General Grabber A/T-2

I am currently running a set of General Grabber AT2's as well. Size LT315/75R-16, mounted on "Quadratec Moab Style Alloy Wheels" (refurbished TJ Rubicon Wheels) 16x8.

It's hard to add anything new to this review; everything pretty much is stated. I personally love them as well!

I previously bought and mounted Parnelli Jone Dirt Grip All-Terrain Tires (35x12.5/16) from a friend of mine (intentionally to last a winter season). Despite the fact that the Dirt Gribs were beat, and beat well, by the previous owner, the General Gabbers outperformed.

I ordered my set from Tirerack for $197 each.

I can't say much for off-road performance, since my YJ is a daily driver, but I firmly agree with the review on "Pavement/Interstate," "packed mud," and "Snow/Ice."

Just a small comment: when it rains, my driveway turns to "soft" mud, for it is mostly gravel, and when slowly driving on it, the tires seem to "bite" but not hold: moving in the "soft" mud feels like a slight drift as if on snow. Not sure if that's because of my overall setup with the YJ or my driving style.

But all in all, original poster provided a great review, of a great product!

[SIZE=4][FONT=arial][/FONT][/SIZE]
      [COLOR=#ff0000]Can't pay to play, thus I take my time. Proud owner of a 92 YJ![/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
      X