Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray on bedliner for my CJ

[FONT=century gothic]
    '81 CJ5 owner here, thinking of putting a spray in liner on the floor of my Jeep. Anyone else done this? If so, did you do it yourself or have someone do it for you? (my 1st post ever, so be kind
    [/FONT]

Re: Spray on bedliner for my CJ

I'm more a fan of roll-on liner. Found that it wasn't as inconvenient for a DIY job. The spray-on can wreak havoc on you rig if it isn't done with extreme caution. One thing to add, if you're in an area that gets a lot of intense sunlight or high daytime temps you should stay away from the black-colored liners, they radiate heat like new asphalt! Go grey or even white if you want. Did grey in a a buddys rig last year, noticed a huge difference in temp over the spray-in black I did in my old HS teachers rig.
    Russ
    Forbiddenjeeps Northeast USA Moderator
    Founder/Administrator at LIW (Long Island Wheelers)
    Auto Mechanic

'04 WJ 4.0L, Selec-Trac, Goodyear Duratrac 225/70R16-----'80 MG B-Series Roadster, Resto-mod, General Altimax
    ***RIP*** ----- *Cause of Death*
    '06 TJR "Fangul" 4"Custom lift, General Grabber A/T-2 33x12.5R15 ----- Tree/Back Ice

Comment

I'm not sure the roll on liner would get an even coat on the door jams and tight areas. I have experience with masking and body work but I'm agreeing with you about the 'messy' part! I'm not worried about the heat. I'm even thinking about just taking the seats out, masking the dash and other areas I don't want the spray to hit and doing the entire cab and roll bar. I think the coating on the roll bar would hold up better than paint and there would be a nice grip on it. It is a LOT of work though.

Comment

yeah I took out the seats and center console when I did it. Made my life a whole lot easier
        Russ
        Auto Mechanic

'04 WJ 4.0L, Selec-Trac, Goodyear Duratrac 225/70R16-----'80 MG B-Series Roadster, Resto-mod, General Altimax
        '06 TJR "Fangul" 4"Custom lift, General Grabber A/T-2 33x12.5R15 ----- Tree/Back Ice

Comment

Did you put it on the roll bar??

Comment

Didn't do the bars, paint was still perfect on them so I didn't need to.
            Russ
            Auto Mechanic

Comment

What year was your Jeep again?
              The paint is good on my roll cage too but I just think the liner would be a cool look...that way everything is in unison and I would never have to redo any of it, which would be nice!!

Comment

I rolled on my whole interior and spray can where I couldn't reach. Used a throw away kit from Wally World. Had a tray, gloves, and a 4 inch soft roller and was under 10 bucks. Did part of roll bar as well. Once I take off pad ill finish roll bar.
                __________________________________________________ _____________
                PA State Moderator

1982 CJ7
                4inch skyjacker easy ride (75% complete at the moment).
                Bald ass 31 inch Ground Hawg's that I hope to upgrade shortly.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Comment

I got one for my tj from advance. Full roll on kit for $80 I think it was. It's held up pretty nicely since last summer when I did it. Took out the seats, left the console. Had a brush that came with the kit for the hard to reach places. Didn't do my roll bars though because I have bar pads, that would look pretty good though.

I've also done it on two yjs
                  '99 TJ Sport 33x12.50r15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires, Pro comp 52 Rock Crawler Series wheels, 2" coil spacer lift, Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, 1.25" wheel spacers, Zone Offroad quick disconnects, Smittybilt XRC tube fenders w/3" flare

build: http://www.forbiddenjeeps.com/jeep-b...ge-budget.html

Comment

I've heard good things of the duplicolor bed armor line. I plan on doing mine after I get it back going. You can roll it on and they make spray cans for the tight places or touch ups if you don't feel like brushing it. My research has found that to get it really black it needs to cure in the sun on a warm day because it's water based. Otherwise it's more of a gray if it's cool and damp out and takes a while to cure.
                    1985 CJ-7 258 T-5 mostly stock 2 in body lift. Currently under renovation.

Comment

Working...
                    X