No announcement yet.

Converting my AC system to onboard air.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting my AC system to onboard air.

I have an 84 CJ7 Leredo with A/C that I'm thinking about converting, or having converted into an onboard air system. Has anyone done this and do you like the way it performs. I'm in Montana and don't really use the A/C. Is the conversion hard to do?

Re: Converting my AC system to onboard air.

What AC pump is on the Jeep now? The round Sanden style or York (looks like a single cylinder engine). The round ones work, but rely on lubricant in the freon to keep them going. The York is self contained and does not use oil in the freon, but had its own crank case filled with 30wt motor oil.

I am running a York (was a stock compressor on my engine, so it bolts right up.) I ran the suction side (Intake) up in to the engine air filter so I don't have to run a separate filter for it. On the output side, the line goes though a check valve, then a air/water separator. After that I have a T with one leg going in under the dash to a pressure switch (On at 80psi, off at 120psi) and a gauge. The other side of the T goes down the firewall to the frame. There is another T. One leg goes to the front bumper to a quick disconnect. The other goes back to a portable 7 gallon tank that also has a disconnect. I can hook in into the system at either the front or rear to air up, use air tools. etc.

dash.jpg

I use a portable 7 gallon tank for air storage. That way, if I need to take to air tank to another vehicle, I simply pop it out and take it.

These pages have tons of info.
    How Tos : On Board Air : Jeeps Only Jeep site directory

[COLOR=#ffffff]1982 CJ-7 AMC 304 V8, T-18 transmission, clocked Dana 300 transfer case, flat belly pan, SOA suspension, Spool rear, Spartan Locker front, 4.10 gears, Warn 8274 for recovering stuck JKs (and LJs).
    sigpic
    [/COLOR]

Comment

I'm not sure. I'll have to look but it doesn't look like the one in your photo's. I'm a noob to Jeeps so bare with me if I seem a little slow.lol Is there anything internal that I would need to do to make it work?

Comment

Does it look like this one?

[COLOR=#ffffff]1982 CJ-7 AMC 304 V8, T-18 transmission, clocked Dana 300 transfer case, flat belly pan, SOA suspension, Spool rear, Spartan Locker front, 4.10 gears, Warn 8274 for recovering stuck JKs (and LJs).
        sigpic
        [/COLOR]

Comment

That looks like the one.

Comment

the York is the best most hassle free way to go, but you can convert any pump. I have run a York with outstanding success. I now run the stock Chevy a/c pump on my commando and it works well, durability is yet to be seen though. The main difference would be having to put an in line oiler upstream of your intake to lubricate the pump. If you would like I could take some pics and post them for you of my set up, it would be pretty cut and paste for any pump.
            69 Commando
            small block 350 TBI Chevy
            700 R4
            241C with SYE kit
            14 bolt ff rear
            king pin 60 front
            37" swampers
            one day it'll be done

Comment

Working...
            X